Oahu Transit Services, Inc.
Oahu Transit Services, Inc.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | HEA | TheBus
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TheBus-Hea Web Application
 Problems or Concerns
 Large Riders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lp7897

4 Posts

Posted - September 27 2011 :  08:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a regular on a morning express bus along with another rider who is too large for one seat (he is morbidly obese). But when the bus is crowded he will squeeze in anyway and his girth is leaning on top of those seated next to him.

How should this situation be handled? Should he be expected to stand? Or should he be treated as a handicapped rider and we should give up our seats for him, so he can have two seats? Or is it simply my problem if he squeezes in next to me and I need to decide whether to suffer through it it or to stand?

tenomoto

5 Posts

Posted - October 11 2011 :  5:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for describing your experience during your morning express bus trips and for being so patient with the individual involved.

As you know, Public Transit is a shared-ride experience and every day we carry passengers of all sizes, ages, and varying degrees of disability. We try to accommodate everyone as comfortably and safely as possible. As you are painfully aware; that does not always happen.

If the rider you mentioned is disabled, then he is eligible to sit in the forward section of the vehicle, which the City has designated as Priority Seating for Senior and Disabled riders and our operator can assist him with seating in that section.

If he is not disabled, all riders closest to him need to consider how to best accommodate everyone's comfort since they have to travel so far together. Others (you included) may want to offer seating to him and have those of you who are more capable of standing, do so. Otherwise, he is left to stand and will continue to squeeze up against you and others because that is the situation that exists.

One option would be for you, the others, or him to ride another trip (Hopefully, a less bus). However, I am not sure what community you are traveling from, so this may be a limited option if there is only one or a few express bus trips operating there.

We understand your frustration and truly appreciate your patience and kindness towards this individual.

Thank you for your interest in TheBus and Mahalo for riding with us!

Tom Enomoto / Manager of Customer Service / Oahu Transit Services, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Kahea4

5 Posts

Posted - December 01 2014 :  5:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In response to this, I ride the bus daily with my daughter and this happens all the time. I suggest as this applies to airlines, if you are going to take two seats, you should be paying double fare. If you can't fit in a single seat, then you will have to stand unless the person you're sitting next to doesn't mind. Just a suggestion.

Roylene K Kamanu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Oahu Transit Services, Inc. © Oahu Transit Services, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000